“At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in.” - Mother Theresa
Oasis currently serves those fighting poverty by meeting numerous basic needs:
- Daily breakfast and lunch
- Food bags from our pantry
- Clothing for women and children in need
- Diapers/other baby needs
For many of the women and children who come to our doors, Oasis provides the only nutritious and hot meal they receive all day. The Oasis soup kitchen is a reliable, welcoming, and safe place for the women and children we serve.
From July 1, 2015-June 30, 2016, Oasis served 70,000 meals and distributed
over 10,000 food bags, diapers, and baby supplies.
During the holidays, Oasis also hosts special meals and distributes food and gift items donated from private sources. In 201, over 1,000 Thanksgiving meals were served while over 1,200 turkeys and 350 food bags were distributed. Just before Christmas, over 600 meals were served and over 5,000 toys were distributed by Oasis to our adult education students and the greater community.
- In July 2015, Oasis received a "Dig In" grant from City Green and Passaic County to establish a community garden at Oasis' headquarters on 59 Mill Street.
- The garden has served as a source of food for our soup kitchen, as well as a learning tool for the young people in our After-School and Teen Programs.